Thursday 18 November 2010

Inspired

Well it's been a while since my last post..... the last few weeks have been such a crazy mix of family, work, maths, friends, cigarettes alcohol and broken hearts that I've barely had time to breathe, nevermind write a blog. Everyone who's been there for me, thank you so much.

I don't want to write about me. I am fed up of talking about me. I'm gonna talk instead about the people who inspire me, influence me, and give me hope.

Firstly, my Mum. Here she is....


I don't think she'd thank me for putting this picture up, but it's the only one I have of her on my computer.... 90's fashion ey! For those of you who don't know, my mum died just a few days before my 10th birthday. She was a professional singer; an extremely talented and determined musician. By the age of 15 she'd left home in Darlington to tour Europe with a band, something that I could never have done at that age. She even sang for Jimi Hendrix whilst she was in Germany!

I've got so many good memories from when me and my brother were little. She made the time to do the school run every day, which for over a year was driving from Leeds to Harrogate, whilst hosting her own radio show and playing gigs in the evenings to help put food on the table. She was an amazing mum, and I miss her very much. I love listening to the recordings that her band made, and I wish I could have really got to know her as an adult. I hope that I'll make her proud.

I've uploaded a recording here if you want to hear it. My dad's on the bass :).

Kat Von D


 
Kat Von D is one of those people that is either loved or hated. To me, she's an amazing woman - she's obviously incredibly talented, amazingly driven, and has made her way to the top of a totally male-dominated profession. She's loved and lost, but doesn't let that defeat her. I would love to be as strong as she is.

James Frey

Author of A Million Little Pieces and My Friend Leonard. Ex-drug addict. A Million Little Pieces is probably my favourite book of all time, I love the way he writes, and the way he wasn't afraid to describe how f***ed up he really was. I know there's been controversy about how much of the book has been exaggerated, but I can't say that bothers me. I've spent time with serious drug addicts before, and I've seen how the addiction can completely consume a person. It takes real strength to get clean, and stay clean. I have massive respect for James' determination. Who cares if he embellished some details to his books? If that means that more people read them, that's great... it's a real story of hope.

Walt Disney
The ultimate dreamer. From living on a farm to creating the biggest company in the world... I love the way that Disney is all about losing yourself. The films can make anyone feel like a kid again, Disneyland itself is all about leaving your worries behind and just enjoying yourself. I know that forgetting your troubles is definitely not a good idea in the long run, but I think that there are too many people around who just wont give themselves a break. I love the way that Walt Disney is such an amazing example of dreams coming true. And of course I love the films :) - I perhaps shouldn't rely on children's films for advice, but a quote from The Lion King popped into my head the other day;

"Oh yes, the past can hurt. But the way I see it, you can
 either run from it, or... learn from it"

Good old Rafiki. Amazing advice for where I'm at right now.

That's just a few of the many inspirational people in this world, but also...

Everyone who has been here for me over the past two weeks.

You know who you are. I honestly don't know what I would have done without each one of you. Massive love to you all :)

1 comment:

  1. I loved this post, and reading about all the people who have influenced you. Sorry about your mum. Despite the 90's look, she looks like she definitely had style! And I bet you make her very proud.
    xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete